Casita - Your Student Accommodation Home
There is no results for
Chat via WhatsApp
UK - +44 (0) 20 3871 8666
AU - +61 (0) 2 8311 4096
MY - +60 (0) 3 3099 2504
IN - +91 99 5 313 0365
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

What is a UK guarantor?

- A guarantor is someone over the age of 25 who takes mutual financial responsibility for the student’s tenancy. If for any reason, the student is unable to pay an amount owed to the accommodation provider, it is the guarantor’s responsibility to do so.

- A UK guarantor must be a resident and/or ordinary residence of the United Kingdom, which consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Residents of Crown dependency and Overseas Territories do not qualify as UK residents.

- A resident and ordinary resident is someone who has resided within the UK for more than three years and is recognised as a resident and/or ordinary resident for tax purposes with HMRC.

- The guarantor must have a fixed UK residence, providing proof of address (less than 3 months old) and photo ID.

- The guarantor must be in full-time employment and/or able to provide evidence that the tenant can be supported by the guarantor, should the tenant get into financial difficulty - copies of the past three months payslips and/or a recent bank statement showing available funds.

Can I pay in instalments?

Yes. However, depending on the property you are residing at, you may be required to have a UK guarantor to allow this.

Students who are booking with a building requiring a UK guarantor to pay in instalments can apply using this UK guarantor service form. In partnership with Casita, Housing Hand provides a UK guarantor service to all students who don't have a qualified UK-based guarantor.

What is a cancellation window/cooling-off period?

It is the period of time between accepting your booking offer and the deadline where you can decide to cancel your booking. During this period, your deposit can be returned to you, and you are not responsible for finding a replacement to sign your contract agreement with the provider.

What are all-inclusive bills? What's included in utility bills?

Utility bills are for the usage of water, gas and electricity. All-inclusive bills will cover the usage of utilities and may include internet access and council tax. Additional services and facilities available, such as cleaning, laundry and parking are most likely provided at an extra cost. For example, coin-operated laundry machines.

What is Contents Insurance?

If a student accommodation is offering contents insurance it means that if any of the contents of your room were damaged and it’s not your fault, the property is responsible for fixing them.

Are Kitchen and Bedding packs provided?

Most properties do not provide kitchen and bedding packs upon arrival. Although some properties can offer packs, at an additional cost, it is advisable to bring/buy your own sheets, duvet, pillows, towels and kitchenware. 

What is the difference between a deposit and an application fee?

A UK deposit is an advance payment that students make before moving in. This payment acts as a holding fee and as a security deposit. If there are no damages, deposits are fully-refundable at the end of the tenancy period.

An application fee is a payment made at the time of booking and is non-refundable.

What is a bond in Australia? 

A bond is a refundable payment. Australian properties require both an advance payment and a Bond, prior to moving in. The advance payment is usually a 2-week rental payment, which is non-refundable and is considered part of the rent. A bond, usually a 4 week rental payment, which is fully refundable at the end of the tenancy period, as long as there are no damages.

Can I check-in on weekends?

Yes. There are some properties that start their weekly bookings on a Saturday. However, the majority of properties offer a weekday check-in. For these properties, we would advise you to book your travel arrangements to arrive on a weekday. If this is not possible, you can inform our Accommodation Experts of your weekend arrival date and we can arrange this with the property. Please contact us for more information on weekend check-in procedures.

Can I live with Casita if I’m under 18 years of age?

Most properties will only accept tenants aged 18 years and over. However, Casita does have a select range of properties that will accept under 18 years of age. If under 18, we recommend you submit your application and our Accommodation Experts will be able to advise you.

What's the difference between non-en suite, en suite and studio?

A non-en suite room is a private room with a bed and study area, sharing a bathroom and kitchen/living area.

An en suite room is a private room with a bed, study area and bathroom, shared a kitchen/living area.

A self-contained studio is completely private with a bed, study area, bathroom and kitchen/kitchenette.

All three room types allow access to the building’s communal areas to socialise with other students residing in the same building.

Can I choose where my room is in the building?

Yes, you can specify where you would like your room to be, depending on the availability at the time of booking. However, please bear in mind that the prices of rooms vary depending on their size, floor, and views. So you might need to pay extra fees for a larger room, higher floor, or a better view.

Can I choose who I live with?

Yes, depending on the availability at the time of booking. Some providers have all-female and all-male cluster flats and suites. Please inform our Accommodation Experts of any personal preferences and they will do their best to manage this for you.

Copyright © 2015-2022 Casita
Switch languages:
Sign up for our newsletters so you can have the latest Student Accommodation News at your fingertips.